Vision is the master of the senses. Half of our brain’s resources are dedicated to seeing and interpreting what we see in the world around us. No wonder then that color as healing method is so effective and powerful.
However, we have been taking this magical gift from the gods for granted. Most of us have become so absorbed in busyness that we hardly notice the colors around us anymore.
Do you still notice the color in your home, your clothes, your garden, your food or your speech?
In fact, we have forgotten to use our senses to bring us back to the moment. How often do you stop and smell the yellow in sunflowers? Do you remember to taste the red in strawberries, do you hear the orange in indie music, do you feel the violet in velvet?
Color – like love - is all around. It exists to feed our soul, to nourish our senses and to lift our spirit when we feel down. It is free, accessible and fun!
Here is how you can use color as your therapy to heal body, heart, mind and soul.
1. Rub high-frequency color oils on aching parts of the body. High-frequency color oils are made by combining the resonances of color, gems, sound, symbols, sacred geometry, aromatherapy and pranic energy. All these ingredients and elements are chosen to release certain blocked emotions or thought patterns.
2. Add a few drops of essential oil to your bath water or add it to water in a burner, and absorb the loveliness. Essential oils have different vibrations that correspond with the various colors. Choose the essential oil according to the color energy that you need. If you need to feel calm, add ‘blue’ or German Chamomile or Rosemary.
3. Get a rainbow massage. The color or massage therapist uses different color oils on different parts of the body. It is a heavenly indulgence and wonderfully healing. It releases blockages on a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level.
4. Treat yourself to a color reflexology session. The reflexologist uses different color oils on your hands or feet. The color oil is rubbed onto the hand or foot at the reflex corresponding to a specific area of the body. If you have problems with your lungs or breathing, for example, the reflexologist will use green oil on the part of the hand or foot that
5. Make and drink solarised water. Take a glass of water and wrap a piece of cellophane around the glass in the color you need, or put a crystal in the water, and place the glass outside in the sunlight for 30 minutes. Then drink your color healing water.
6. Buy decor accessories in the color that you crave. Nothing lifts ones spirits like seeing your favourite color in your home. A red scatter cushion, a bunch of yellow sunflowers or a pink candle can do wonders for your home and your soul. Whenever you feel out of sorts, look at the color of your heart for a while.
7. Give your wardrobe a make-over. Make sure you have scarves, accessories or clothing in every color of the rainbow. Wear the color energy that you need on the day. If you want to project confidence and leadership qualities, wear something yellow.
8. Carry colored crystals in your handbag or pockets. Crystals give off powerful energy that you can use to support you.
9. Create a rainbow on your plate. Include foods of all colors in your diet. It is one of the most natural and effective ways to absorb the color you need.
10. Write your own color mantra and repeat it throughout the day. If you need to work with green, an affirmation like ‘I am open to giving and receiving love’, gets you to verbalise you deepest wish of your heart.
11. Visualise your favorite color when you feel anxious or stressed. You can also use it to meditate. Think of the color energy you need, focus on that color for a few minutes and feel how your mood improves almost instantly or find yourself getting the courage to tackle a difficult task.
12. Do a color reading. Color treatments usually start with the color therapist finding the root cause of problems or challenges. A color reading gives you instant insight into the current state of your physical, emotional, mental or spiritual health.
Lien Potgieter is a color therapist based in Johannesburg, South Africa. She offers online color codes readings and a FREE color personality reading. She also teaches an online Learn to Speak Color in 7 Days course and a Balance your Life with Color workshop. She studied language practice, color therapy, metaphysics and transpersonal psychology. Visit www.thecolouroption.com and follow her on Instagram @LienLienPot.