Taking on other people’s emotions could be the biggest challenge facing highly sensitive people and empaths. We easily feel what other people feel, whether it is a family member we live with, the grocery store clerk, a co-worker, or a stranger. Going through our day to day life requires a certain awareness in order to distinguish between our feelings and others. This ability to recognize what we are taking on allows us to make a conscious choice about what to do next. Though we gain a lot from this unique trait, we often pay a hefty price for it. We can feel controlled by this trait and have it influence where we go and who we see. But there is another way to live. We can learn to thrive in the world with this special gift, we just need the right tools.
1. Get Grounded - this is the most important thing we can do in the morning, or anytime. It’s no secret highly sensitive people have trouble staying grounded because we feel everything so intensely and live in our heads. But grounding ourselves is the first step to take if we don’t want to carry around other’s emotions and energy as if they were our own. In 5 minutes or less, you can do these;
- Visualize roots growing out of the bottom of the feet, reaching deep into the ground. Picture this until the feet feel weighted down.
- Run cool water on the wrists, or bring the wrists together, one on top of the other, with the hands going in opposite directions. Hold for 5 minutes. Take a shower or bath.
- Spend 5 minutes meditating, focusing on deep inhalations and exhalations.
- Say the word OM, drawing out the word slowly and repeat it for 5 minutes. Feel the vibration of the word in the body.
- Sit on or touch the earth/ground. Walk on the ground in bare feet. Hug a tree.
2. Visualize - visualization is very effective for keeping other people’s energy separate from our own. To do this we can visualize ourselves in a personal box. This box has four walls surrounding us, with a lid on top of our head. This box is designed for positive energy to enter, but repels energy we don’t want. People can’t tell we put it there. We still sense what others are feeling and thinking, however, once we have recognized their energy, it stays with them. The energy does not become entangled in ours and it does not stay in our box.
3. Clear - this is highly useful after we have absorbed unwanted energy. While alone and in a quiet place, we start to swipe away the energy surrounding the body. We cup the hands and start above our head. Using both hands, we cut through the energy in a quick, swiping action, pushing it away. Our hands are clearing our head area, then move down to the neck, chest, abdomen and so on. Continue all the way down to the feet. When we are done, we picture ourselves in a white bubble. We have effectively cleared stored energy from other people out of our personal area.
4. Do The Work - this step is more complex than the others but cannot be ignored. We take on other people’s emotions, thoughts, and sensations easily but have we ever stopped and questioned why? There is a tendency for us to be unconsciously attracted to helping and healing others. One way we do this is by adsorbing their toxic energy and letting them feed off of our higher vibrations. Whether we are aware or not, we are getting something out of this transaction. This is where we need to do some inner work. We must examine our core beliefs and honestly question ourselves about what the pay off is. Who would we be without this trait? What could we do with our lives? How do we feel when we help to heal others? How do we help heal ourselves? How do we feel about boundaries? Does worthiness play a role? These are all questions we can explore while doing our inner work. When we uncover outdated hidden beliefs, we can let them go and replace them with new ones.
Let’s start with this;
“I am worthy of a happy life, filled with thoughts, emotions and sensations that I choose.”
By using these 4 powerful techniques to stop absorbing unwanted energy, we are free to focus on other things. We can use our new found energy to accomplish the dreams and goals we set out for ourselves. We are free to move through the world in a new, empowering way. A way that allows us to use this unique gift to our benefit, and to the benefit of the world.
I started The Sensitive Life blog because I wanted to share my knowledge of how to turn sensitivities into advantages. I am also certified in holistic nutrition, reflexology and reiki. Connect with me here http://thesensitivelife.ca/. You can follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/nicoletaffs12 and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/The-Sensitive-Life-974235825982449/?ref=ay...