HUNA: AN HAWAIIAN SYSTEM FOR LIVING
by Lisa Larson
If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. ~ Henry Ford
The basic principals of the above quote are based on ancient beliefs and principals known to people as many different things, among them: “The Law of Attraction”, “The Secret” and ... “Huna”. In Huna, that quote would be fall under the principal of Kala, There are no limits.
Huna is an ancient Hawaiian belief system which, in my view, is a cross between metaphysical beliefs and psychology.
The system largely relates to the "Law of Attraction” and similarly is not a religion, but a philosophy on how to live life.
Not only does Huna teach one about manifesting one’s own desires, it’s also about shamanism and healing, of the body and the soul.
In the system, there are seven basic principals, four levels of reality and three selves in this basic philosophy. (This system was simplified by Serge Kahili King from Aloha International.)
Seven Basic Principals of Huna
- Ike: The World Is What You Think It Is. Our thoughts create our reality.
- Kala: There are no limits. If you believe it can happen, it can. If you believe it cannot, you have placed a limit on it which will prevent it from happening.
- Makia: Energy Flows Where Attention Goes. What we focus on is where we direct our energy, consciously or not.
- Manawa: Now Is The Moment Of Power. We live in this present moment. The effects of the past can be changed by changing our reaction to it in the present moment, the future is created from what we do in this present moment.
- Aloha: To Love Is To Be Happy With (someone or something). When we judge or criticize, we lose strength. When we bless or complement, our strength increases.
- Mana: All Power Comes From Within. We are a part of the higher universal force, since we are all connected. All of our strength comes from within ourselves, in using these principals, to create the reality we want.
- Pono: Effectiveness Is The Measure Of Truth. If it works for you, it’s true. If we remain flexible in our beliefs, then there will always be a different way of looking at something, believing in something or making something happen.
Four Levels of Reality
- Scientific/Physical: Everything is objective and factual. We are bound by physical, scientific laws. Everything is separate. We are all individual beings with individual lives.
- Subjective/Psychic: All things are connected, the world is defined not only by facts but by psychic and/or telepathic experiences. All people and things have vibrational energy and there is no dividing line between energy. Communication between all things are possible.
- Symbolic/Shamanic/Dream: All of our experiences can be viewed and interpreted as symbolic, as a dream. Using symbology, when we change something internal, our external situation will change.
- Holistic/Mystical: Everything in the universe is one. Everything is made up of energy, and all energy is connected. We, on this planet, are all one. We are no more important than a tree and no less important than the oceans. We vibrate on this level as one universal consciousness.
- Ku: The subconscious. Where our memories reside.
- Lono: The conscious mind. Our logical mind which makes decisions and ‘trains’ the Ku, to some degree.
- Kane (or Aumakua): The superconscious or "higher self." Our ‘God’ self. Our connection to a higher source. Our ‘spiritual’ self.
The wonderful thing about Huna is the flexibility of it (Pono), in that we take what works for us and we leave the rest. One does not have to be of a certain religion, or any religion at all. It’s a philosophy to live by and can be incorporated into many different belief systems. Once we find what works for us as individuals, the door can open to wonderful things.
Lisa Larson is an Alakai Candidate with Aloha International. She is an animal communicator and energetic healer who uses Huna Shamanic techniques routinely in her healing sessions. She can be found at http://pawstalk.net for her animal services, and http://spiritcaat.com for psychic medium and spiritual counseling services.