There are people who will claim to know you and act as though they are part of your tribe, using you for their own agendas as they drop your name in other circles. Their sincerity depends entirely on how much you can offer them in each moment. Their motives are selfish, not selfless. These are not light workers in any way, shape or form. Don't fool yourself into thinking that because they have light, they must be good people. There are many gifted healers who don't have an authentic spiritual spark in their entire being.
Do some spiritual fact checking with the notable people in your life. Where did they get their light and what are they doing with it? There aren't any authentic "light workers" who are dark. All shiny things require continuous polishing, and the metaphorical "coat of armor" for any light worker isn't the exception. We don't identify consciously active spiritual people as "light vessels" or "light users" or even "light borrowers". We call these people "light workers".
Dark workers are light thieves. Very little about this sort of pretender is verifiable, let alone valid. They spout clichés or spiritual babble with magnificent gestures that imply their great depth of character -- often followed up with "my guides have told me that I am very close to becoming an ascended master" or worse "when you get to my level of experience, you will understand." They emotionally manipulate with recognizable quotes from impeccable sources and use key words to trigger your defense mechanisms without further discussion. They want control, not compromise.
The victim of a light thief often feels confused and inferior. I have closely watched and even participated in ceremony with light thieves (before their true character was revealed to me) for over 40 years. I'm finally comfortable enough with my own skills as a light worker to make some discernment between the sociopath vs. who is "on the path."
Here are five excellent signs you -- or someone you know -- could be a light worker:
1. You share your spiritual light consistently and appropriately because it's the right thing to do and you can't imagine doing it any other way. That's it. Period. It never occurred to you to look around and make sure others were watching how awesome you are.
2. You don't hold yourself spiritually above or below anyone. You aren't ashamed of having an opinion or observing a truth when you are asked to share a thought, which is different from making a statement with judgmental implications. You're aware of the difference between "spiritual" and "religious" philosophies.
3. You value the process of illumination within everyone, but you'll regularly "spot check" yourself. For example, my true friends and fellow team mates in the Light Worker Olympics remind me to wipe my own spiritual mirror and occasionally assist me in the process of maintaining my glow; however they don't validate their own shine at the expense of mine. When my light could use a bump of energy, they provide it, or remind me to charge my vessel. I do the same for them. It's called Reciprocal Consistency.
4. You're concerned for humanity, but you realize that each day is another chance to discover -- through compassionately observing others -- what you need to heal within yourself first. This is called "consciousness" and it is a key element to the truth of light work.
5. You elevate every situation to the highest potential and those near you feel it too. You avoid making statements such as "Your line of questioning suggests that you don't really want to become enlightened" probably because the first time you heard it you lost good karma points as a result of wanting to punch the teacher! I hope you forgave yourself and laughed about it later.
Thinking that you have a personal claim to "the truth" (any truth) is foolish. Very little information with regard to spiritual endeavors is new. If you need light, ask for some; but don't forget who it was that offered it to you when you were looking for answers or uselessly burning that candle at both ends.
Above all, remember to tell others where you were given that first sparkle and the hand up. Share your path of knowledge and light by shining on those who showed you how to power up your cosmic Zippo. If you feel you won that Metaphysical Recognition Award without any help, think again. Your performance is just make believe if you think for one moment you were "chosen to shine" alone.