A few years ago I was going through a very deep bout of depression. My husband had left me after fifteen years of marriage and I lost my job all at the same time. While I consider myself a positive and upbeat person, suffice it to say that no matter how much positive thinking I did, I was crushed.
My ego was bruised but even more so, I was scared. I had just turned 41 and became quite comfortable with my life. I suppose I became too settled and complacent with my life that in a sense I lost my enthusiasm and excitement.
Prior to this happening I definitely noticed things becoming a bit mundane. But I also study Buddhism and I do believe that it's important to be balanced and not get caught in the highs and lows of life. I struggle with this concept about making the effort to live vibrantly versus staying centered in the middle and finding my inner peace.
After about six months when this all transpired, I definitely noticed that my mind and energy was waining. There were many days where I felt lost, confused, unmotivated, lethargic, and just "blah". While my yoga class did help on some days, I felt like there was something missing.
Then one day on my Instagram feed I caught a quote about inspiration that really stuck. I noticed that once I meditated on it for a few minutes, it really had a powerful effect on my thinking. So I decided to spend an hour digging through some quotes and found five that really hit home for me. I kept them on me at all times and would read them every two to three hours and they really helped me to continually shift my mindset.
Here are the five quotes that really helped me and maybe they can help you too!
1. "Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and enjoying it for everything that it is." – Mandy Hale
This quote really struck me because after I became so settled in my life I really thought I had it figured out. But once I let go and accepted things for what they are, I discovered a deeper sense of joy I have never experienced.
2. "I believe if you keep your faith, you keep your trust, you keep the right attitude, if you’re grateful, you’ll see God open up new doors." – Joel Osteen
After my life felt like it completely fell apart, I had lost my faith in God. This quote helped me to remember that He is always with me wherever I go even through the darkest of times.
3. "Whatever is worrying you right now, forget about it. Take a deep breath, stay positive and know that things will get better." - Unknown
I feel like this was more of an affirmation then a quote but this one definitely had a powerful effect on my inner psyche.
4. "Nothing external can have any power over you unless you permit it. Your time is too precious to be sacrificed in wasted days combating the mental forces of hate, jealousy, and envy. Guard your fragile life carefully." – OG Mandino
This reminded me of how much power I handed over to external circumstances and helped me reclaim my power.
5. “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” Eleanor Roosevelt
Because I had so much fear I really needed help in finding strength and courage and this was of great help.
If anyone else has gone through something similar, I would love to hear about how you handled this situation.