1. Silent Observation.
Quietly watch yourself in as objective a manner as you can. Watch your
reactions. Watch your thoughts. Watch your activity. Watch how you interact with
other people. This is a way of benchmarking yourself at the beginning of any
attempts to change.
2. Research Alternatives. The amount of material
available to us in this day of the internet is astonishing. Use discrimination
and trust your gut instincts to know if something is right for you or not. Read
books. Attend lectures. Listen to CDs and DVDs. Create a list of alternatives
from which to choose.
3. Choose a Mentor. From the research in #2, you
will be drawn intuitively to some authors more than others. Write down their
names. Now choose one or two with whom you'd really like to work. Contact
4. Do Something Differently. In order to Be the
Change, you have to begin somewhere. Tomorrow, use a different hand to hold the
toothbrush when you brush your teeth. Do this for a full week. Observe your
feelings on Day 1 and then on Day 7.
5. Do Something that Scares You. Our fears tend to
incapacitate us. Choose one thing you are afraid to do and do it anyway. Notice
how you feel at the beginning and how you feel at the end. Was the fear bigger
than you thought?
6. Write Down Your Daily Plan. You cannot move forward
without a plan. When you write your plan down, it's a form of commitment to
accomplish the plan. You may grow to love your To-Do list with all those
accomplishments crossed off.
7. Seek Friends Who Want to Improve. The company of
friends with goals in common with yours is a wonderful way to stay on track, to
keep moving forward, to help you over the bumps in the road, and to stretch
yourself like never before.
8. Don't Share Your Goals With Everyone. Sometimes,
friends and family don't like your ideas and their input can be demoralizing.
Keep your goals to yourself.
9. Join a Master Mind Group. Even if you are the
newest, youngest person in the group, you can learn from their expertise and
make suggestions yourself from your expertise.
10. Meditate Daily. Your thinking is the propellant
into success. It needs quiet time to stay focused and directed. Give it what
it wants daily.