The Martian Effect – What Mars’ Retrogression Augurs
Out of the nine planets of the zodiac, Mars is the planet of action, courage and valiance. It is what pushes you to do. Mars is the planet that is the significator of weapons, blood, action, violence, surgeries, sharp objects land/property, of sexuality and of courage. It is the impulsive action that may not be preceded by thought. It is t brute force -The raw vital energy that cruises through all human beings. The strength of this planet in the birth chart of an individual signifies the force with which one may assert oneself through words and actions or how timid and submissive a person maybe.
Mars becomes retrograde from April 17th - June 23rd, 2016. Retrogression of a planet is basically an optical illusion - movement as observed from the earth - a planet may appear to be slowing down and subsequently moving backwards. The major lesson to be had during the retrogression of any planet is that - one may experience that it takes two or three times more, the amount of effort and understanding to deal with issues, aspects and areas that are ruled by that particular planet. Therefore it is likely that incidents and episodes related to this energy will take centre stage.
Also typically what happens is that the desire for manifestation of related material goals (outward) increases but energy focus is towards spiritual growth (inward) through challenges! What makes it a really tough one this time is that Mars' arch enemy Saturn is also retrograde and at the same time transiting through the same sign of Scorpio.
What does this mean - picture this, two people with the tremendous animosity forced to live in the same room. And both do not have any desire to see the others point of view! One is the energy of volatility and violence and the other is malevolent, stuck and set in its ways and doesn't mind playing the long term game. The former wants instant action and gratification and the latter is old school, resists any kind of change and riddled with fear. Both together, creating a hostile atmosphere filled with tension! Now picture this happening in the mind of a single individual and how the polarities may be pulling and wrangling in different directions!
Of course, anyone would want to run away from the scenario but it is noteworthy is that these energies are great teachers will teach of their essence to the mortals whether one likes it or not.
It will be easy to see the tempers frayed and misjudgments affecting relationships, peace and equations. If nothing else it is it going to be wearing and watch out for responses and reactions to specific areas of life, events and decisions.
Pointers for the phase –
- It would make a lot of sense to defer any decision of purchasing a property or initiating construction. Mars rules over land and property, so any big moves in real estate related matters may either run into trouble or you may end up feeling that you have tied a noose around your neck.
- Mars is a planet that rules over blood and bone marrow. Individuals facing problems related to diabetes, hypertension or any of the blood related ailments for that matter could see the condition becoming aggravated. If it is possible to avoid elective surgery during this period, one must do so by all means*
- Exercise caution especially if you your work involves working with sharp objects, weapons, fire or any machine that performs a cutting function.
- It is better to avoid starting a new venture or a partnership business during this phase as the initial enthusiasm may die down soon and putting big effort (that any new venture requires) could seem taxing. There could also be misunderstanding is among partners and matters may turn into an ugly legal battle.
- Whether it is countries at loggerheads with each other or consortiums of business vying for their benefit or whether it is a couple battling out their differences - this is certainly not a time to allow matters to get out of hand. Any kind of conflict situation is best avoided. Saturn's influence in the situation may give it solid bedrock of bitterness that will not be easy to shake off. Reasons for animosity could get cemented for a long time. It is best to call for a truce, arrive at a compromise and close the matter.
- A new relationship started during this time could be purely based on desire and sexual attraction. If the goal is to have a lasting relationship, it is better to wait this period out before seeking or making any commitment. Incidences of disappointment in romantic relationships may increase.
- Any kind of weapons, even the licensed ones should be kept under lock and key- especially in homes, not to be accessed easily.
- It would be wise to have a fire safety drill in institutions and organisations; so if you have been wanting to organize one, the time is just right.
While the situation definitely looks like a tough one, it is only in times like these, that the best lessons are learnt. It is time to incorporate disciplined thinking, calmness and objective assessment- Yoga, meditation healthy dietary changes, spiritual practices etc can help tremendously; to get the old machinery oiled; and to learn to wave the white flag more often.
*Astrological advice is not a substitute for medical advice.
** The analysis is based on sidereal astrology/ traditional Hindu Vedic astrology.
Abhijita Kulshrestha, is the Vedic astrologer and planetary gem advisor at www.gemstoneuniverse.com. She is also a certified NLP master practitioner from NFNLP, USA.