Tips to Stand Up When Your Spirit is Failing
Tough times are encountered by each individual and sometimes situations seem to be completely out of whack. It is in such a moment of deep despair that one may feel helpless and that the spirit has become weak and carrying out the simplest tasks becomes difficult. Though one may call it spirit the game played out in these moments is largely a machination of the mind. Technically speaking, the spirit is neither meant to fail or break. Distinguishing internally between spirit and mind is very important to understanding this. So what do you do to handle this speedy Gonzales on a rapid downhill drive?
- Are you aware of your “self”: Whenever the mind gained and upper land understand that you have been ignoring your spiritual wealth this doesn’t require you to be religious/ or a believer. Just plain understanding of the fact that your spiritual, emotional and physical body make the complete you and ignoring even one facet will impact your total well being. So do whatever you must to commune with your spiritual essence – your higher power –nature, music, yoga, singing, meditation, social service - it could be anything!
- Dissociate / Look objectively: Have you ever wondered how sagacious and suave you sound when giving advice to others who are facing a tough time or a dilemma? And all that wisdom goes flying out of the window when the one facing a difficult time is you. Why? Only because when the scenario concerns the other, you are able to watch / look at the situation from outside the ring – (which is called observing objectively). This is not possible when you are ‘in’ the drama; when the dilemma is yours! Disassociation is the very tool to look at your own situation through your mind’s eye, as an outsider, completely neutral in assessing. And you’re quickly able to assign correct proportions to the problem. This frees you from the burden of overwhelming proportions that the drama and emotions assign to any personally relevant situation. After all, you are the hero / heroine of your personal blockbuster and there have to be larger than life drum rolls, grand visuals, heart rending tragedies and impossible romance as the critical elements!! Save yourself the emotional project cost by detaching from drama.
- If only someone heard me out: Nope. Stop looking for a sympathetic shoulder or an emotional rescuer! They don’t come along. If they do, one is usually not enough. This one is a self-perpetuating misery. Stop telling yourself you’ll get better once someone says – ‘Oh you poor dear’ you’ve really got a raw deal’ And then what? The key lies with you. The heavy baggage you decided to drop with help and TLC from a sympathiser continues to be with you. You have to drop it and move on! Whether you decide to drop it with or without mope sessions is up to you. You! How many people continue to wait years and years for a rescuer to heal them without discovering the magic that lies within.
- Drink more water: Most of issues – especially, emotional ones are a result of brain chemistry not in balance. And one can blame a large part of it on dehydration. It may not seem much on the surface but a dehydrated body system is likely to send confusing signals to the brain. Thirst gets interpreted as hunger, anger, lack, want, longing and what not. The mind can plug the gap of ‘something missing’ with anything it wants to play at or is habituated to playing at. However, up your intake of water and you will see a remarkable difference. Of course, this needs to be done on a consistent basis.
- Take on a high engagement activity: - The mind is MMM - Magic Magnifying Mind. Whatever you focus on is magnified by your mind. This is the reason why self-pity or playing the victim are terrible for your psyche. Those sick feelings grow and thrive within an internal environment of hurt/ loss or grief. Pick up a task, a book that requires you to apply mental faculties deeply to understand. It distracts effectively and beautifully.
- Picking up a physics book worked for me once. And how surprised I was at my ability to comprehend what I considered belonged to ‘nerd domain’!! Instant mood uplift. So go on and choose to go on...
(Abhijita Kulshrestha is the director and consultant at www.gemstoneuniverse.com. She is
a PGA certified Vedic astrologer and GIA certified gemologist. She is also an NLP
practitioner certified by NFNLP, Florida.)